Enquirers are advised to consult the library catalogue in the first instance. This includes RVW manuscript scores held by the College and published works.
> Click here to view the library catalogue website *
Of particular note are the autograph manuscripts (MSS numbers in brackets):
- Symphony no. 5 (4231)
- The vagabond (4128)
- Love’s last gift – set for voice and orchestra (4129)
- The shepherds of the delectable mountains – piano score for first performance (4571) Heart’s music (4936)
- Two pieces for violin and piano (4983)
- Hugh the drover – Act 2, Scene 1 (4572)
- Romance for viola and piano (9732)
Holdings also feature some material partly in autograph:
- Shepherds of the delectable mountains – annotated proof copy (4570)
- 2-piano versions of Pastoral symphony and Symphony no. 6 (5360)
- Sir John in love – the Host’s part (4964), and directions for Fenton’s part (9439)
- Symphony no. 5 – corrected printed copy (8179)
- Hugh the drover – annotated proof copy (8807)
There are some 70 autograph letters in the collection, not on the library catalogue. These are catalogued and transcribed on the Vaughan Williams website *.
Vaughan Williams spent two periods as a student at the College and joined the staff in 1918. Tributes to him were published in the RCM Magazine for 1959 which may be viewed on the Archive website *.
Royal College of Music
Prince Consort Road
The library is open to all current members of the RCM and welcomes researchers who may use it for reference only.
For opening hours see the Royal College of Music website *
- = External website(s)